Monday, November 19, 2007

Lost my lunch on a Costa Rican highway...

So I went to Arenal for the weekend. Some parts were amazing, some parts were not so amazing.

We got there on Friday afternoon, our hotel was awesome. I just relaxed in the hot tub the whole day and watched TV in ENGLISH at our hotel room. It was weird, the place was so touristy it didn't really feel like I was in Costa Rica. The Costa Rica that I am used to is the slums of Los Guidos, it was very relaxing but I sort of felt weird being there.

There was a crystal clear river right next to our hotel and I sat on a rock in the middle of it and read for like three hours each day. It was so nice to have some alone time. There was a stupid cloud over the top of the volcano the whole time so we didn't really get to see anything. We went on a hike and and took a tour of the national park which was awesome, we saw lots of animals, including monkeys! I have like the worst luck with seeing animals so this was a big deal. Then we went to Tabacón hot springs. Probably the coolest place I have EVER been. They built this resort around a river that is heated by the magma from Volcan Arenal. There were all of these waterfalls with pools and the water was all like a hot tub. When the volcano erupted you could feel it rumble and the water instantly got hotter. It was so awesome. We just laid in the river for like 2 hours and then ate at the most beautiful buffet I have ever seen.

Then on Sunday we checked out of our room at 1 and ate lunch while we waited for our bus to come pick us up from the hotel. About two hours into the ride (its a four hour ride) I started to feel really sick. I have not gotten car sick since I was in like 5th grade, so I thought I would be fine. These roads were like riding a merry go round at 60 MPH, on the edge of a cliff. All of a sudden, without warning, I needed to throw up. I lunged for the window, stuck my head out, and threw up for like seriously 2 minutes straight. Needless to say, it was not my finest hour. Here is my facebook graffiti depiction of what happened:



It was pretty freaking funny after the fact, and I felt fine after I was out of a moving vehicle. Whew, although like I said, it was not my finest hour.

Here are some more pleasant pictures of my weekend:










1 comment:

Jeremy, Erin, Ella, & Judah said...

Hello,
My name is Jeremy. I am currently preparing to move to Costa Rica as a Missionary. We are looking to settle down near Los Guidos and would like to make contact with local churches and organizations.
If you don't mind could you Tell me who you worked with and what you did. Sorry if it's in a different post but I am just searching for los guidos on google. .
Thank you very much and God Bless you,
Jeremy