Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Este Vida Me Cansa, y Volcan Arenal

These days are feeling longer and longer. I fell asleep on the bus ride home today and almost missed my stop, which would have been pretty bad. It was such a fight to keep my eyes open for the last stretch of the ride. I hate that feeling too.

I wake up at 5:30, and I am walking to the bus stop at 6. I ride a bus to downtown and then walk for 15 minutes to another stop. I get on another bus for another hour and arrive at about 8:00. I meet the other missionary at the office and we walk to another bus stop. (It isn't safe to go into Los Guidos alone so we go together.) We ride a bus for another hour into the poor community where we teach our art class. The distance that we go is really short. It would probably take 15-20 minutes but because of traffic and stops, I ride a bus for 3 hours every morning. We teach one class, have lunch, then teach another class. Its pretty exhausting because the kids don't have a great understanding of obedience and structure. I am constantly chasing little boys around and telling them to get back to class por favor. Just when I get them back another one takes off, or a mom comes and drops of her 1 year old for us to watch... even though we have a class to teach. I am constantly helping kids glue glitter on to their craft with one arm and a screaming baby in the other arm. After class, it then takes me about 2 1/2 hours to get home on bus because I only have to change buses once downtown on the way home. I cant listen to my ipod because if they see the ear phones they might rob me. Its creepy, sometimes I catch the person behind me touching my hair. Most of the time its a nice old lady that just likes the color because its rare there, but 2 times out of 10 its a greasy Latin man. Aye nooo. I get home around 5:30 or 6 each day.

All of these interactions are in my 2nd language, which makes my brain feel totally toasted by about 8 at night. I cant even speak English by that time. Then I am saying "No I didn't went" and "no I hasn't saw that." Aye no.

Its difficult because the other missionary I work with is Korean, and the only language we really have in common is Spanish. She speaks Korean, Japanese, Spanish, and a little tiny bit of English. Its hard to communicate especially because we have to talk kind of in depth about the kids and the lesson plans and what not. So between her tiny bit of English and both of our mediocre Spanish, we somehow make it work. She is an amazing girl. She is actually one of six Koreans to win a super competitive contest. The Korean government is paying for a year of all expenses for them to do a peace corps type thing, she chose Costa Rica, and she chose to work with Food For the Hungry because she is a Christian. We have had some interesting talks about what its like to grow up a Christian in Korea and Japan, both predominantly Buddhist and Shinto countries. In Korean high school, they go to school from 7:30 AM until 10 PM. Holy crap. Aye no.

We are going to Volcan Arenal together this weekend for three days. It should be cool to relax in some hot springs!! Pray that we see the Volcano erupt, I have heard that its spectacular, but the problem is that there has to be no clouds for us to see it. Which isn't likely because its really high up. But seriously pray that God would show us his beauty this weekend! Also pray that things go smoothly because traveling in Costa Rica is a little shaky at times. Here are some pictures off the Internet of where we will be:



No comments: