Friday, September 28, 2007

Macha Rica

So "Macha" or "Machita" means "little blonde/white girl". As you can imagine, I get it a lot. Yesterday was a record. I got called "Machita" 7 times while walking downtown to catch my bus. I keep track everyday because I think its funny.

I just joined a group on facebook titled "Costa Rica Love" because the description of an experience in Costa Rica is SO accurate it made me laugh:

"The sentence 'I have much itch' makes perfect grammatical sense to you... You think a $3 dollar meal is too expensive... You eat beans and rice for breakfast and drink coffee at night... You have either almost gotten hit by a car or attacked by a dog every day... You frequently answer English-Speaking people with Spanish, and vice-versa... You´ve grown accustomed to parroting "PURA VIDA" whenever you don't know what the heck is going on... You can immediately curl into the perfect position on the public bus and pass out for four or five hours... You like that you can finally be the foreigner talking crap about people who don't know what you're saying... in the course of one day, you expect to: sweat profusely, freeze to death, feel like the rain will wash your house away, and burn your poor gringo skin... you know where the nicest Internet cafes are in every single city... and you know that Costa Rica isn´t a place; its a lifestyle."

Pura Vida.

No comments: