Monday, March 19, 2007

Sacré-Coeur

When I was in France, We went to the Sacré-Coeur. It is a giant church that sits on top of the highest point of the city, and you can look down on the whole city of Paris. When we got there it was like 10:30 so it was really dark. You could see the Eiffel tower in the distance and the lights from the city were beautiful. It's name means "the sacred heart" and it was seriously the most beautiful man-made place I've ever been. When we went inside to pray, there were candles lit everywhere and no one was allowed to speak at all. There is a massive painting of Jesus with his arms open across the ceiling of one of the domes. I was sitting in the pew with probably 50 other people around me, but I felt like I was by myself. I'm sure the other people felt like that too. It was so freakin beautiful, and I couldn't think about anything else but the beauty of what Jesus did for us. It is so beautiful. Forgivness is so beautiful. And when you see something that just takes your breath away, something about the beauty of it makes me remember how beautiful the cross is. I want to go back to that place, but oh yeah.... I live in Holt, MI.

3 comments:

firehead257 said...

the crazy thing about being human is that we could even get bored with being able to go to that church every day.

Riverview is an awesome place, yet people still get bored there.

Fran Bonzelaar said...

You are so very right.

Brett said...

"but oh yeah.... I live in Holt, MI."

well thanks for reminding me, jerk.